Friday, January 25, 2013

Laugh with me.

So, I did the first assignment for Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain. I know these are quite terrible, but the author encourages you to keep a portfolio to watch as you gain some skill in sketching.


This is my makeshift sketch pad. I didn't even have any number two pencils laying around when I went to start this yesterday! So I had to borrow some from a friend this morning! Ha! Today's assignments were to do a self-portrait, a sketch of someone from memory, and a sketch of your hand. Once I sat down in front of that mirror I just couldn't bring myself to start. All of the sudden the blinds looked so dirty and I felt like I had to get up and clean them, and I needed to throw in another load of laundry, maybe get water boiling for dinner....ANYTHING but sit and try and sketch this silly thing. So I'm sitting there just looking at myself and laughing at the mirrior, thinking, "There is no way I can take myself serious enough to actually do a self-portrait." But alas, I started and giggled through basically the whole thing. And that's when I realized that most of creativity is about having fun anyways, so I decided to enjoy myself and the goofy ape-like picture I was drawing. Feel free to laugh along with me as you look at these. Don't worry. It won't hurt my feelings. ;)

 
 
And if you can't read it in the picture, I titled this first one...
 
 


"1st terrible self-portrait".


This looks nothing like my Gramma. All I kept thinking while drawing these first two was, "We look like apes! We look like apes!"


This last one was the only slighty decent one.

Anyways, I hope you guys got a few laughs out of those like I did. I found myself being very shy with the pencil, wanting to only use very light strokes. I guess I thought that makes it look better despite a complete lack of skill on my part. I'll have to keep you updated on the drawing I can fit in to my somewhat spare time.

I'm super excited to make this for dinner, then B and I are going to bundle up and head to Grounds for Coffee for a poetry and music night. Sipping on a warm chai sounds yummy for this pregnant momma. I was skyping my mom the other day and realized I'm getting a little chubby pregnant face. Ohhhh the joys of giving birth to children. haha And I'm only just starting to learn. ;) Hope ya'll have a fun weekend!

1 comment:

  1. I can totally relate to being pencil shy. When I do get time to try and sketch, I can't seem to get my pencil to touch paper. It's almost like I have a fear of drawing something bad and having to erase. I just need to do it. Go you for sticking with it!

    As for pregnancy face....ah! I dread it. I was looking at my past pics and I got it around week 26ish.

    anyways, I enjoyed this post, friend :)

    ReplyDelete