Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Ode to the mundane.

"Set your minds on things that are above, and not on things that are on earth. For you have died and your life is hidden with Christ in God."
 
Colossians 3:2-3
 
 

This verse has popped into my head and study tons this week. (Someone must be trying to get my attention...) I'm having one problem with it. Maybe you can relate?

How in the world am I supposed to set my mind on things above when there's a pile of dirty sheets that need to be cleaned? And last night's dinner is still sitting on the stove? When my little guy can't breathe because his  fallen body has given him a stuffy nose? When my charming dollhouse grows smaller and smaller, and all of my baby's accoutrements grow bigger and bigger? When dinner time is just around the corner and the race begins to get my boys fed?

I thought about this as I snuggled Ari on our bare bed this afternoon. I don't know the answer and please don't tell me you do because I know you really don't. Not on most days, at least. It's just takes faith, I guess. Trusting and believe in God's grace as constantly remaking all things new until the end. But if all of His goodness is so glorious, why does my little world seem so drab? Maybe it's just one of those days. Or lives. Maybe it's me. Or maybe that really is why we long for heaven. Because this world is drab and lacking to meet our real needs. Our needs that go much deeper than clean clothes and yummy dinners.

It won't be long. I belong somewhere past the setting sun.
-Switchfoot

xoxo

5 comments:

  1. This is a great post! Very well worded and honest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great post! Very well worded and honest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am feeling overwhelmed right now with being a single mom, trying to keep the house, pool, yard, cooking, grocery shopping, working (or not working over the summer), trying to stay on top of the boys with Harrison's travel baseball (lots of hotel stays and how I'm going to pay for them), insurance or lack thereof for Hunter, paying bills, Harrison's summer school work and Hunter's college stuff. There is no answer but to keep your faith close. Although I wonder how I'm going to keep my head above water, I still see a wonderful house, awesome sons, and still having a job as positives. I wish we were closer to help each other out. Love you bunches, ladybug! I'm always here if you need to talk about anything. Don't ever hesitate!!! XOXOXOXO

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this post. You are an inspiration and encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh and your little guy is just so cute!!!

    ReplyDelete