Friday, May 10, 2013

God's sovereignty over our hormones.

It's getting up in the 80's this weekend. And fun pregnancy hormones really crank up the sweat glands.

 
 
70 feels like 90 when you're pregnant. I'm very, very thankful for the maternity shorts a friend of mine passed along. ;)
 
 
There's our boy! I still don't fully understand it, how life is going to change and look. Don't know if I will until he's actually here. You'd think maybe it would have sunk in by now...since I'm between 38 and 39 weeks....and ya know, he could technically decide to move in (as an 18 year house guest) at anytime.
 
You know what people failed to mention about nesting? The terrible, hormonal, don't-want-to-share-my-hubby-or-baby-with-anyone nesting that sets in. The territorial madness and paranoia that take over. I think it's nesting on hormonal steroids. haha That's where all the random crying comes in to play being pregnant this far along. I will share a bit of honesty: I've been scared out of my mind of having postpartum for a while now. Many months. And many long nights I've been up in staggering fear thinking about it. I've been fearing my husband ever liking me after this baby is born, ever wanting to stick around to be with us, ever feeling like a normal human again, ever....ya know, the list goes on and on, however logical or (very often) NOT logical. Us pregnant people do understand that, ya know. We aren't logical. We know that. But you still can't help the feelings that occur. So, what do you do?
 
God's Word is always a good place to turn. :) I seriously was so encouraged by it this week and experienced the power it has in my life. I feel like people have just been telling me these ups and downs are part of hormones and you have to deal with it, in part aiding me in jusitifying totally sinful behaviors. "I can be mad all night and ruin everything because I'm hungry and pregnant and can't control my hormones and my husband rushed me out of the house...so let me ruin the whole plan for everyone. Everyone pays because my silly husband knocked me up!" Nope.
 
"...for God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control." 2 Timothy 1:7
 
God is sovereign and in control of my hormones. My hormones do not control me. I do not have to fear because God has given me a spirit of power. I can take my thoughts captive and meditate on His truth.
 
Freeing. This truth quickly dried up tears in the middle of what could have been a (totally justified...but we won't go there) hysterical crying fit. And it has been helping me all week when my thoughts go towards the dark, fear filled corners of my mind.
 
So ladies, any of you ladies of any age and in any particular chapter of life, don't give in to the lie that your hormones have the final say. Because they don't. God does. He always has and always will. He is the creator of our bodies, including our hormones, and I totally, totally believe He has the power to intervene when things get emotionally crazy in our minds and hearts because of physical issues.
 
Also, did you notice the words self-control? There's some responsibility right there. We don't get a justified bad mood day, week, year, or life because our hormones are out of balance. God provides grace for that. Take it. And He will help you with the responsibilities He's called us to.
 
Next time you start to create an entire backstory as to why you have every right to be bitter towards your husband all night or a co-worker, sibling, whoever your "hormones" choose as their victim, remember: God has given us a spirit of self-control. I really say this in love, as I've been experiencing the freedom from my sinful emotions these last few days, whether I always look it on the outside or not, and I want you to experience that freedom too. I can go out on what could be our last date before the baby comes with my husband tonight without feeling angry or totally scared that we will never, EVER be able to do such a thing again. And who knows, maybe we won't. But God still reigns and I don't have to ruin what could be my last date ever with my gorgeous hubby. ;)
 
xoxo


3 comments:

  1. I really like this, and it also reminds me of a couple of things from when I was pregnant....like the self-control part. I think there are a lot, too many, women out there that justify eating whatever they want because they are pregnant. Well, do you want your baby consuming all that junk? I didn't, but it does take self control to not eat everything that has a name when you are pregnant (if you have the appetite to eat). I also am reminded of when a lot of people around me were sort of freaking out about the fact that I could have had Charlie very early because of a functional issue with my body. But honestly, I clung to His word that I should fear nothing because God knew exactly when Charlie was supposed to be born. And guess what, he was right on time :0) Thanks for sharing this, you looked super preggo cute today too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish there was a like button on here so I could like your comment. I think most people would let you get away with murder in the name of being pregnant. Lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen, sister! (Let me just say I was wayyyy hormonal with my first pregnancy and someone told me it doesn't change after pregnancy. This is true BUT your body learns to adjust and work with it and I think that's why I've barely had any emotional breakdowns this pregnancy...I think my body is used to all the random hormonal changes it went through. I'm hoping yours does too!)

    ReplyDelete